Australian Financial Services Licensing (AFSL) Forum


David Court

Thank-you for your question.


We are quite familiar with this type of service and you will either require an AFS Licence to provide personal financial product advice to the relevant platform provider (i.e. Powerwrap)  or be appointed as an authorised representative under the AFS Licence of another person (which could be the relevant platform provider).


The type of authorisation required under an AFSL Licence or representative appointment is dependent on a range of factors, including any agreements in place with the relevant platform provider.  We strongly recommend you seek appropriate legal advice before providing a model portfolio service.


At Holley Nethercote, we provide expert and practical legal services and would be happy to assist.  Please feel free to contact our financial services team if you require further assistance.


Author: David Court (Partner)

Co-contributor: Diana Lawrence (Law Clerk)

  • Free answers to common Financial Services Regulation (FSR), Consumer Credit and AML/CTF issues.

    Click here to join our LinkedIn group for responsible managers and compliance professionals.
  • Training

    Regulatory Compliance Training for Directors, Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff

    View Courses

  • Legal Advice

    Review your AFSL or ACL disclosure documents, conduct a licensee audit and more…

    Get Legal Advice

  • Compliance support

    The HN Hub – an online platform built to support Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff