Australian Financial Services Licensing (AFSL) Forum


Paul Derham

Hi licencefx,

Based on your description, it sounds like you are not offering an MDA service – this assumes you have no access whatsoever to other people’s funds. ¬†However, your buying and selling actions are likely to be “financial product advice” under Australian law. ¬†If you operate in Australia or if you induce people from within Australia, it is likely that you will need to apply for an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL).

For further information, please contact us to discuss.


Author: Paul Derham

  • Free answers to common Financial Services Regulation (FSR), Consumer Credit and AML/CTF issues.

    Click here to join our LinkedIn group for responsible managers and compliance professionals.
  • Training

    Regulatory Compliance Training for Directors, Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff

    View Courses

  • Legal Advice

    Review your AFSL or ACL disclosure documents, conduct a licensee audit and more…

    Get Legal Advice

  • Compliance support

    The HN Hub – an online platform built to support Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff