Australian Financial Services Licensing (AFSL) Forum

Home Forums Australian Financial Services Licensing (AFSL) Forum Should I apply for a derivatives authorisation on my AFSL, because I recommend instalment warrants? Re: Should I apply for a derivatives authorisation on my AFSL, because I recommend instalment warrants?

Paul Derham

The legislation has not yet been passed.  In response to the draft legislation, the FPA suggested that “derivatives” was not appropriate classification and the appropriate authorisation should be “superannuation.”  AFMA submitted the existing argument that standard form instalment warrants (and many other warrants) are securities or interests in managed investment schemes, with a useful summary of the law.  Currently, many warrants are “securities”, but the nature of the warrant currently varies depending on the nature of the underlying product and this affects its legal classification.  An instalment warrant over real property is most likely a derivative as such property is not a financial product itself.

Please fee free to contact us if you require further information.

Author: Paul Derham
  • Free answers to common Financial Services Regulation (FSR), Consumer Credit and AML/CTF issues.

Click here to join our LinkedIn group for responsible managers and compliance professionals.
    joinUsOnLinkedIn
  • Training

Regulatory Compliance Training for Directors, Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff

View Courses

• Legal Advice

Review your AFSL or ACL disclosure documents, conduct a licensee audit and more…

Get Legal Advice

• Compliance support

The HN Hub – an online platform built to support Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff

More