Australian Credit Licensing (ACL) Forum


Typically, a third party individual or company (that is an individual who is not a director or employee of the licensee, or of a related body corporate of the licensee) seeking to engage in credit activities on behalf of a licensee needs to be appointed by the licensee as a credit representative, unless an exemption applies.


The National Consumer Credit Protection Regulations 2010 provide an exemption for employees and directors of a related body corporate, as defined in the Corporations Act 2001. There is also an exemption for suppliers of goods and services who provide credit assistance in relation to a linked credit provider.  This sounds the most likely to apply to your situation.


However, we would need to consider the circumstances in more details in order to determine if you would meet the requirements of these exemptions.


Feel free to give us a call if you would like some advice.


Author: Kathryn Wardrobe

Co-contributor: Chris Wallace


  • Free answers to common Financial Services Regulation (FSR), Consumer Credit and AML/CTF issues.

    Click here to join our LinkedIn group for responsible managers and compliance professionals.
  • Training

    Regulatory Compliance Training for Directors, Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff

    View Courses

  • Legal Advice

    Review your AFSL or ACL disclosure documents, conduct a licensee audit and more…

    Get Legal Advice

  • Compliance support

    The HN Hub – an online platform built to support Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff