Australian Financial Services Licensing (AFSL) Forum


Megan Jaksa



Whether you need an AFSL depends on whether you are in the business of providing financial services in Australia within the definition in the Corporations Act. If so, you will then need to consider whether the signalling service falls within the definition of a financial service, such as “financial product advice”. If the answer to both these questions is ‘yes’, then you will most likely need an AFSL whether you provide signalling services to the investments firm or to the public.


We are unable to provide a more definite answer without knowing a lot more about your circumstances. Contact our office if you want to seek legal advice.


Author: Paul Derham
Co-contributor: Megan Jaksa 


  • Free answers to common Financial Services Regulation (FSR), Consumer Credit and AML/CTF issues.

    Click here to join our LinkedIn group for responsible managers and compliance professionals.
  • Training

    Regulatory Compliance Training for Directors, Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff

    View Courses

  • Legal Advice

    Review your AFSL or ACL disclosure documents, conduct a licensee audit and more…

    Get Legal Advice

  • Compliance support

    The HN Hub – an online platform built to support Responsible Managers and Compliance Staff